Protein is significant for the human body. There are various kinds of protein food that one may consume, but protein powders have great significance.
Individuals buy protein powder because of its numerous advantages and benefits. Protein powders are granulated versions of proteins derived from plants such as peas, soya beans, flax potatoes, or even wheat, as well as eggs or milk. Additional substances present in the powder particles comprise refined sugar, synthetic flavour additives, minerals, and vitamins. In simple terms, protein powders are sourced from animal and plant supplements like eggs, milk, soya, etc.
Forms of Protein Powder:
Individuals are accessible to buy protein powder in 3 different forms:
- Protein concentrates: Protein is extracted through whole foods employing temperature, acid, or enzymes. They generally include 60–80 percent protein, only with leftover 20–40 percent composed of fats and carbohydrates.
- Protein Isolates: A subsequent filtration procedure eliminates even more lipids and carbohydrates, condensing the protein further. Protein isolate supplements are composed of 90–95 percent protein.
- Protein hydrolysates: Hydrolysates can be easily digested by the human system and the muscles because they are generated by proper heating that involves acids or enzymes which dissolves the links connecting amino acids.
Types of Protein Powders:
Protein powders are available in various forms serving different purposes. Descriptive lists of the types are mentioned below; read on to know more.
- Whey Protein: Whey Protein is a source of milk. This is obtained during the cheese-making procedure where the protein liquids are sundered from the curds. These powders contain more protein. But the liquid extracted comprises lactose, which is hard to digest. Although whey protein extract includes minimal lactose, whey protein isolate offers relatively less since most milky sugars would be eliminated throughout production. Whey absorbs fast and seems to be high with branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). One of these BCAAs, Leucine, is vital for muscular development and restoration following endurance and stamina training.
- Casein Protein: Just like whey protein, casein is also concentrated in milk. Unlike other powders, additional time is required for individuals to absorb and digest the protein.
Consuming casein protein develops stable and balanced muscles due to its firm exposure to amino acids. This is because casein swivels into a gel on consolidating with acids in the stomach. This change delays the process of absorption of amino acids by the blood. Therefore, as the process is slow, the protein reaches all the muscles, diminishing the protein breakdown process rate.
- Egg protein: It is already known that eggs are a significant source of protein. Among all the protein sources available, eggs are known to have a high amount of Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS). Consuming raw eggs keeps the stomach full and healthy. The quality of the egg protein powders is exceptional and is obtained using egg whites instead of raw eggs. The only drawback is that this powder keeps the stomach less full as the yolks are eliminated in its manufacture. The egg protein powder inculcates all the nine amino acids that the human body requires.
- Pea protein: This protein is commonly consumed by vegans, vegetarians, and all those who are allergic and do not eat eggs and other protein food. Yellow split pea is used as the main component of pea protein as it is known to have high fibre, which is essential in enhancing the amino acid content in the body. Pea protein has a high BCAA value as well. So, vegans buy protein powder made from similar ingredients.
- Hemp Protein Powder: One other plant extracted supplement that’s already developing prominence is hemp protein isolate. Hemp has a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids as well as some important amino acids. Unfortunately, this is not considered a great protein since it contains relatively low quantities of the amino acid residues lysine and leucine.
These are a few among the prominent protein powders. Buying protein powder has become eminent these days as people are well aware of the importance of protein powders.
Author Bio: Alison Lurie is a farmer of words in the field of creativity. She is an experienced independent content writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry. She is a multi-niche content chef who loves cooking new things.